Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Broccoli Cilantro Soup

There are certain dishes that transport you to a particular place and time; there are smells that stir your mind and allow you to recall a pleasant day; and there are meals that remind you of a loved one and bring back memories of that person. This is what Broccoli Cilantro soup is for me: nothing fancy, failing to excite my taste buds with exotic flavor, but a warm, simple dish that reminds me of my dear Grandma Gayle. She loved this meal and made it often. The smell of it simmering on the stove fills my heart with memories of her. I miss grandma so much; I think of her every day.


  • 4 c (32 oz) stock, chicken or vegetable
  • 1 bunch cilantro, leaves only (reserve remaining stalks for future stock)
  • 2 heads broccoli
  • small handful spaghetti noodles
  • s&p to taste
  1. In a medium pot heat stock.
  2. Roughly chop broccoli (stems included) and add to the stock. Lightly boil until tender, about 15min.
  3. Add cilantro (small amount reserved for garnishing) and noodles. Cook for about 8 minutes until noodles are al dente.
  4. Season with salt and pepper
  5. Serve, garnished with remaining cilantro leaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment