Monday, February 28, 2011

Tin Can Candle

I decided to make use of these lovely aluminum cans I had laying around. I love their shiny, reflective exterior and beautiful, symmetrical ridges. Here is a candle holder that I made for tealights to help lightly illuminate our bathroom. Simply fill a cleaned, empty tin with water and place in the freezer. Once frozen, use a nail and hammer to punch a decorative design of your choice. Place your tin in the sink and run some warm water over the ice to help defrost (if the bottom of the can rounds with the expanding ice, gently hammer it back in).

I used a larger can to place silverware in during a recent casual dinner party, and have most recently placed a can on the counter to use as a "trash bowl" during cooking. It's a little bit country, a little bit... recycled chic. I really like these funky additions and think they would look great with a simple wire handle and hung throughout a backyard during warm summer evenings.

No comments:

Post a Comment